Asita Recordings

We like Pam Grier, Red Stripe, the sound and the smell of records, mixtapes,the SF Giants, analog synths, McCovey Cove, Lanikai at night, and San Francisco's indian summer.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Shock G calls it quits



Shock G, the talented front man, from the Oakland based group Digital Underground, calls it quits. Perhaps, this makes a larger statement about the pressures of doing something you love with (sometimes) little reciprocation.

"I'm retiring from all forms of studio work and song writing.

My reasons for retiring are:
1. I get no satisfaction or fullfillment from it anymore. It doesn't make me happy. On the contrary, it depresses me.
Normally I'm not depressed, it's only surrounding the studio. I'm happy when I'm away from the studio.

2. Can't make a living at it. 90% of the studio work I've done in the last 6 years has all been either for free or for peanuts, and hasn't generated any income since.

3. It drives me to do drugs, cause I HATE BEING IN THE STUDIO. To much pressure & expectation for me to make/save/spark someone elses career or project. link (read more), courtesy of westcoastrydaz.com, Shock G interview, discography

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's hope he gets back in the studio at some point. i've seen alot of the same thing with homies in the past. usually it's a passing phase. just goes to show how trife the industry can be to those who make it what it is. sad

is that a fucking murs tattoo?

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home